Home Made Red Thai Chicken Curry With Collagen Peptides
by SOL STRONG on Jan 18, 2019
Thai red curry paste recipe:
- 16 dried chillis, chopped into 1 cm / 0.5" pieces seeds shaken out
- 2 tbsp lemongrass , sliced, reedy outer skin removed (1 large)
- 1 tbsp grated galangal, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled whole
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste in oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro stem and roots
- 2 red shallots , peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ¼ cup reserved chilli soaking water
- Taste dried chillies for spiciness - see Note 1. Place the chopped chillies in a large boil and pour over about 3 cups of freshly boiled water. Leave to soak for a good 30 minutes or so.
- Remove chillis and reserve water.
- Put chillis in a blender or powerful food processor.
- Add remaining curry paste ingredients into the blender along with 1/4 cup of the chilli soaking water.
- Blitz on high until smooth - test by rubbing between your fingers. It takes around 20 seconds in my Vitamix which is a powerful blender. It might take up to 1 minute. Use a touch more water as required to aide with blending.
- Scrape into a bowl or airtight container. Store for up to 3 days in the fridge, or freeze it to use later.
- Use in place of store bought curry paste in recipes that call for it - especially Thai Red Curry!
Red Thai Chicken Curry with Collagen Peptides
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (or canola or peanut)
- 1 quantity homemade Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 cup / 250 ml chicken broth , salt reduced
- 400 ml/ 14 oz coconut milk (full fat!)
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp sugar (white, brown or palm)
- 2 tsp fish sauce , plus more to taste
- 350g / 12 oz chicken thighs (boneless and skinless), cut into 0.75 / 1/3" thick slices
- 150 g / 5 oz pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into 1.5cm / 3/5" cubes (~1 heaped cup)
- 120 g / 4oz green beans , trimmed and cut into 5cm/2" pieces
- 4 scoops Collagen Peptides
- Italian Parsley for topping
- Heat oil in a large heavy based skillet over medium high heat.
- Add curry paste and cook for about 2 minutes - at first, the curry paste will be sloppy with wetness but the liquid will cook out and you'll end up with a dry-ish paste.
- Add chicken broth and stir to dissolve paste. Simmer rapidly for 3 minutes or until liquid reduces by half.
- Add coconut milk, lime leaves, sugar and fish sauce. Stir, then add chicken.
- Spread chicken out, bring to simmer, then turn heat down to medium. Simmer for about 8- 10 minutes or until Sauce reduces, the chicken is cooked and the sauce is almost at the thickness you want.
- Do a taste test. Add more fish sauce (or even shrimp paste) to add more saltiness, sugar for sweetness.
- Add pumpkin and beans, stir. Cook for 3 minutes or until pumpkin is just cooked through and Sauce is thickened - see video for Sauce thickness.
- Remove from heat. Stir through collagen peptides.
- Serve over rice, garnished with fresh red chilli slices and fresh italian parsley leaves, if desired.